November 16 - 19, 2023
Screenings at Cineplex Cinemas Park Lane, Halifax & a virtual film package in Atlantic Canada
10th annual Atlantic Jewish Film Festival
November 16 - 19 2023
10th AJFF Highlights:
- Cineplex Cinemas, Park Lane, 5657 Spring Garden Road, Halifax, NS
- Opening Night Celebration Party at The Lord Nelson Hotel (adjacent to Cineplex Cinema Park Lane)
- Virtual Festival in Atlantic Canada
- Thursday, November 16: Opening Night Celebration film begins at 6:30 P.M with party to follow: Tickets: $25 (film + party).
- Friday, November 17: film screening at 12:30 P.M: Tickets: $10
- Sunday, November 19: film screening at 1 P.M: Tickets: $10
- Sunday, November 19: film screening at 6 P.M: Tickets: $10
- Virtual film festival available to everyone in Atlantic Canada: $40 (3 features + 6 shorts)
Complete film line-up and tickets available below.
We are excited to share with you details of our Opening Night Celebration!
- 6:30 PM: Less Than Kosher with special guest Shaina Silver-Baird
- 8:00 PM: Party and Q & A
Less Than Kosher (Canada, 2023, 65 minutes, English)
At 20, Viv was a promising young singer. At 30, her failing music career has forced her back into her mother's basement. But when this self proclaimed "bad Jew" reluctantly lands a job as a Cantor at her family's synagogue, she’s thrown into a wild ride of illicit affairs, drug trips, tense family drama, self discovery, and some serious Jewish bops.
Winner of the 2023 Toronto Jewish Film Festival Audience Award
Special Guest: Shaina Silver-Baird is an actor, musician, writer and producer from Toronto/Tkaronto. She is the co-creator/co-writer, executive producer and star of feature film Less Than Kosher (Filmcoop Inc.). Most recently she toured North America as Chaya/Violinist in the award-winning, international sensation Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story with 2b Theatre (6 Drama Desk nominations). Shaina has been nominated for a MyTheatre Award for Outstanding Performance and won a Dora Award for Best Ensemble. Shaina is also the lead singer/songwriter for electro-pop band Ghost Caravan with three original songs featured in Kim's Convenience (CBC; Netflix).
How to watch AJFF virtual films
If you don't have your tickets yet or have a coupon code:
- On the Virtual Film package above (when available), click the button to pre-order or buy tickets.
- If you have a coupon code, click on "Have a discount code?" and enter it.
- Follow the steps to either login to your existing Eventive account (if you have one) or create a new account
- Complete the order process
Once you have your tickets, here's how to watch AJFF virtual screenings on your devices.
For these devices:
- Windows PC, Mac, Chromebook, Linux Computer
- Tablets, smartphones, including iPad and iPhone.
Install the eventive app (tablets/phones) OR go to eventive.com (computers), then sign in to your account. Your AJFF films will be available to you there.
- Windows PC, Mac, Chromebook, Linux Computer
Click the Login button on the Eventive schedule above (when available). Your AJFF films will be available to you there.
2023 AJFF SPONSORS
2023 FILM PARTNERS
The Azrieli Foundation | The Consulate of Israel | Israel Bonds Canada | Moskowitz Capital | Bishop’s Cellar | Cineplex Entertainment LP | Le Consulat général de France à Moncton et Halifax | Alliance Française Halifax |
Valarie MacDonald & Jim Spatz
2023 CAST MEMBERS
Karen & Howard Conter
Anna & Maxim Hazankin
Linda Law & Lloyd Newman
Elizabeth Mullaly & Darrel Pink
Darcie Richler & Leigh Lampert, LawGiC
2023 FILM FANS
Carol and Simmy Airst
Jane & David Alexander
Nancy & Seth Bloom
Ethel Cooper-Rosen and Mark Rosen
Sharon Fraser & Dan O'Connor
Myra & Larry Freeman
Judith & Victor Goldberg
Shirlee & Ralph Medjuck
Lezlie Oler & David Zitner
Shari & Paul Burnard Ostrom
Debbie Stover & Jeffrey Schelew
Ann & Howard Thaw
Goldie & Morris Trager
Jack Waller & Ken Saunders, Parkinson Society NS
Yolana Wassersug & Sam Worthington
Myrna & Harold Yazer
Support the AJFF
10th ANNUAL Atlantic Jewish Film Festival SPONSORSHIP INFORMATION
Thank you for considering supporting the Atlantic Jewish Film Festival. As always, the 2023 festival offers different levels of sponsorship, and all sponsors receive a tax receipt.
$540 Directors: includes 4 Opening Night Celebration tickets (film + party); 4 tickets to Friday & Sunday screenings; virtual cinema festival pass + a gift virtual cinema festival pass, and on-screen recognition.
$360 Cast Members: includes 2 Opening Night Celebration tickets (film + party); 4 tickets to Friday & Sunday screenings; virtual cinema festival pass, and on-screen recognition.
$180 Film Fans: includes 2 Opening Night Celebration tickets (film + party); 2 tickets to Friday & Sunday screenings; virtual cinema festival pass, and on-screen recognition.
$90 Supporters: includes virtual cinema festival pass (November 16 – 19), and on-screen recognition.
- Online: Please click here or on one of the sponsorship buttons on this page.
- By cheque: Atlantic Jewish Council, 5640 Spring Garden Road Suite 300 Halifax, NS, B3J 3M7 (cheque payable to: AJFF)
- By phone: Please contact Svetlana Ratchinski, AJC Controller, at (902) 422 - 7491 ext. 223
- Questions? Edna LeVine, AJC Director of Community Engagement: firstname.lastname@example.org
Your contributions help us to deliver a festival that entertains and engages diverse audiences with film through a Jewish lens. We could not produce an annual festival such as this without the investment from our supporters.
With gratitude, from the AJFF committee:
Lynn Rotin, Chair | Jon Goldberg | Anna Hazankin | Linda Law | Jordan Schelew | Flint Schwartz | Schuyler Smith | Ann Thaw | Howard Thaw | Kristina Wakfer | Peggy Walt | Atlantic Jewish Council (AJC) Staff: Yoram Abisror, Executive Director; Edna LeVine, Director of Community Engagement |
Sharing our values and culture with each other and the broader community through the enrichment that films provide.
Want to Volunteer?
Interested in volunteering? Fill out the form below to be added to our volunteers mailing list!
About The AJFF
The Atlantic Jewish Film Festival (AJFF) is presented by the Atlantic Jewish Council (AJC). The festival provides an opportunity for the public to experience the Jewish world through film in Atlantic Canada. We offer film lovers documentaries, comedies and dramas that otherwise would not screen in our region. We choose films to engage, entertain and educate a diverse, inclusive audience.
After last year’s successful hybrid AJFF, which attracted an audience from across Atlantic Canada, our 10th AJFF will once again offer virtual cinema throughout Atlantic Canada and in-person screenings in Halifax.
The AJFF organizing committee is excited to announce a special event for our 10th AJFF with an Opening Night Celebration and another great year of engaging films highlighting Jewish life and culture around the world.
Contact: Edna LeVine, Director of Community Engagement (AJC)
AJFF Committee: Lynn Rotin, Chair | Yoram Abisror | Jon Goldberg | Anna Hazankin | Linda Law | Edna LeVine | Jordan Schelew | Flint Schwartz | Schuyler Smith | Ann Thaw | Howard Thaw | Kristina Wakfer | Peggy Walt
About the Atlantic Jewish Council
The Atlantic Jewish Council (AJC) has been the cornerstone of Jewish life in the Atlantic Canadian provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, and Newfoundland & Labrador) since 1975, acting as the organized Jewish community’s representative and program/service provider for non-religious matters. With only a small staff complement and a modest budget, the AJC relies on the support of over 100 volunteers across Atlantic Canada to move the needle on our eight strategic priorities:
- Building a sense of Jewish community across Atlantic Canada;
- Strengthening Jewish identity amongst the Jews of Atlantic Canada, especially our youth;
- Reinforcing the regional identity of the Atlantic Canadian Jewish community;
- Supporting and connecting Atlantic Canadians to Israel;
- Educating about the Holocaust and human rights;
- Helping those in need in our community;
- Fostering relationships with and representing the Atlantic Jewish population to all levels of government, academic institutions, and Jewish and general organizations at both the national and local level; and
- Educating the community of Atlantic Canada at large about Judaism.
The AJC is happy to once again present the Atlantic Jewish Film Festival.