November 17- 20, 2022
Hybrid festival: in-person & virtually in Atlantic Canada
2022 Atlantic Jewish Film Festival
November 17-20 2022
After last year’s successful hybrid AJFF, which attracted an audience from across Atlantic Canada, we will once again offer virtual cinema throughout Atlantic Canada and in-person screenings in Halifax.
2022 Festival highlights:
- AJFF Opening film with special guest Israel Consul General Paul Hirschson.
- AJFF Saturday night film and gala reception with filmmaker Tamás Wormser.
- AJFF Sunday screening with France Consul General Johan Schitterer.
- AJFF Virtual film package: available to everyone in Atlantic Canada.
Sharing our values and culture with each other and the broader community through the enrichment that films provide.
AJFF SATURDAY NIGHT FILM & GALA
Shalom Putti: A Long Way to Jerusalem, 2022, Canada
Q&A with filmmaker Tamás Wormser | Gala Reception
Saturday, November 19, 8 p.m. Bronfman Theatre, Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21, Halifax.
DESCRIPTION: Largely unknown to the outside world, the people of Putti, a village at the foot of Mount Elgon, are part of the Abayudaya community, Ugandans who’ve practised Judaism for over a century. Outliers within the Diaspora, they’ve developed their own vibrant religious life, a syncretic expression of Judaism that finds room for African cultural practices and a rich musical tradition. Director Tamás Wormser documents the extraordinary encounter over seven years, when the community comes into contact with a group of Orthodox Israeli rabbis, and everyone is destined to be transformed.
To view the trailer please click on the photo:
How to watch AJFF virtual films
If you don't have your tickets yet or have a coupon code:
- Head to our Virtual Film Package
- Click the button to pre-order or buy tickets.
- If you have a coupon code, click on "Have a discount code?" and enter it.
- Follow the steps to either login to your existing Eventive account (if you have one) or create a new account
- Complete the order process
Once you have your tickets, here's how to watch AJFF virtual screenings on your devices.
For TVs including:
- Most Smart TVs
- Apple TV
Install the eventive app, then go here to connect your Eventive account to the app. Your AJFF films will be available to you in the app.
For these devices:
- Windows PC, Mac, Chromebook, Linux Computer
- Tablets, smartphones, including iPad and iPhone.
Install the eventive app (tablets/phones) OR go to eventive.com (computers), then sign in to your account. Your AJFF films will be available to you there.
- Windows PC, Mac, Chromebook, Linux Computer
Go to the Eventive My Tickets page here. If it prompts you to sign in, do so now. Your AJFF films will be available to you there.
For detailed instructions on using each of these devices, see Eventive's help site here.
If you've already tried the steps at the link above click here to get live help from Eventive support!
2022 FILM PARTNERS
The Azrieli Foundation | The Consulate of Israel | Israel Bonds Canada | Moskowitz Capital | Bishop’s Cellar | Cineplex Entertainment LP | Le Consulat général de France à Moncton et Halifax | Alliance Française Halifax |
With the support of the Cultural and Scientific Services of the Embassy of France in Canada.
The Atlantic Jewish Film Festival is proudly supported by the HALIFAX Municipality's Regional Event Grant.
Karen & Howard Conter
Valarie MacDonald & Jim Spatz
2022 CAST MEMBERS
Dawn Frail & Tim Margolian
Katrina Hurley & Arik Drucker
Linda Law & Lloyd Newman
Elizabeth & Darrel Pink
Darcie Richler & Leigh Lampert, LawGiC
2022 FILM FANS
Carol & Simmy Airst
Rosalind & Philip Belitsky
Ethel Cooper-Rosen & Mark Rosen
Sharon Fraser & Dan O'Connor
Judith & Victor Goldberg
Roselle Green & Family
Jordana Hart & John Kimble
Sharon & Stanley Jacobson
Shirlee & Ralph Medjuck
Lezlie Oler & David Zitner
Rita & Joel Pink
Victoria & Edwin Rosenberg
Debbie Stover & Jeffrey Schelew
Ann & Howard Thaw
Goldie & Morris Trager
Wendy Katz & Alan Young
Jack Waller & Ken Saunders, Parkinson Society NS
About The AJFF
The Atlantic Jewish Film Festival (AJFF) is presented by the Atlantic Jewish Council (AJC). The festival provides an opportunity for the public to experience the Jewish world through film in Halifax. We offer film lovers documentaries, comedies and dramas that otherwise would not screen in Nova Scotia. We choose films to engage, entertain and educate a diverse, inclusive audience.
Following the success of last fall’s 8th Atlantic Jewish Film Festival, the AJFF organizing committee is excited to announce another great year of engaging films highlighting Jewish life and culture around the world.
Contact: Edna LeVine, Director of Community Engagement (AJC)
AJFF Committee: Lynn Rotin, Chair | Jon Goldberg | Anna Hazankin | Linda Law | Edna LeVine | Jordan Schelew | Flint Schwartz | Schuyler Smith | Ann Thaw | Howard Thaw | Kristina Wakfer | Peggy Walt
About the Atlantic Jewish Council
The Atlantic Jewish Council (AJC) has been the cornerstone of Jewish life in the Atlantic Canadian provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI, and Newfoundland & Labrador) since 1975, acting as the organized Jewish community’s representative and program/service provider for non-religious matters. With only a small staff complement and a modest budget, the AJC relies on the support of over 100 volunteers across Atlantic Canada to move the needle on our eight strategic priorities:
- Building a sense of Jewish community across Atlantic Canada;
- Strengthening Jewish identity amongst the Jews of Atlantic Canada, especially our youth;
- Reinforcing the regional identity of the Atlantic Canadian Jewish community;
- Supporting and connecting Atlantic Canadians to Israel;
- Educating about the Holocaust and human rights;
- Helping those in need in our community;
- Fostering relationships with and representing the Atlantic Jewish population to all levels of government, academic institutions, and Jewish and general organizations at both the national and local level; and
- Educating the community of Atlantic Canada at large about Judaism.
The AJC is happy to once again present the Atlantic Jewish Film Festival.